Unit 73: Sound for Computer Games

Course: BTEC Level 3 Game Design Extended Diploma
Teacher: Josh Rai
Student: Ibraahiim Ahmed
Assignment: Sound for Computer Games

I have created two sound sound effects and two soundtracks for my game. The game I am making is a side-scroller Maths game, which am trying to keep it entertaining and educational for the player. The player would be controlling a white cube that would gain several kinds of Powerups and versing different kinda of enemies while trying to figure the answer to the question. The background music is more of a electronic sound effect in the background, acting like the theme song. And the sound effects are just sounds I got from my home. What I had used to record for my sound effects was Zoom H4n. Then I had made my soundtrack by using Soundation by making it into a repetitive loop effect. I have created five different sound effects and two different soundtracks. After I had edited and removed any background noises from the sound effects. I had made sure to use the right format to gain most optimal quality in sound without disturbing the sound effect and soundtrack.
Zoom H4n
I have created my soundtracks by using Soundation. Soundation is a free website that allows the user to create any sound or music they want. This is what I had used when creating my own soundtracks. My first soundtrack was is designed for tutorial of my side scroller Maths game. Then the second is for general gameplay after the tutorial.

Tutorial's soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMTgoWIxrpc
General soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK4dpTGGDtk

When making these two soundtracks. I had kept both of them at 16 Bit Depth, 44100 Hertz and obviously keeping it as a stereo. This is most common build that most, if not all; people are able to listen to with ease and no issues. When uploading this to YouTube. I had to change its formatting from WAVE (original) to MPEG4, so YouTube could understand it.

I had created a sound effect by having some whistle. Then I had uploaded on to computer and starting to edit it on Adobe Audition. I had made a lot more longer then the original. By increasing its echo by delaying it. Next was increasing its spread without effecting of the sound. Which had created of a spooky echo-ish sound effect.Which I had designed to act like a notification when a Powerups was available to be used.

Powerup's sounnd effect: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6BL41J-ZFg

Again, I had kept at 16 Bit Depth and 44100 Hertz as it was ideal position for everyone. But the only difference is that by increasing it spread and delay, I had changed it into surround sound by accident, which I decided to stick with it. As it made sound a lot more of what I attended. And again, I had to change it from WAVE (original) to MPEG4 so YouTube would be able to understand to upload it.

Chorus' Effects
I had created this sound effect for when the player would had fallen from a certain height - making some light noise. I had done same with sound effect by converting its format from a WAVE to MPEG4 or MP4 but no of these had work. The first sound effect was done by dropping a small ball on a hard surface. I had used the surface the surface to create certain sound I needed for my game.

Falling sound effect: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx7Z-U6qaSY

Different Type of Surfaces
I had kept the same with others. I had made sure it was set at 44100 Hertz and 16 Bit Depth as a standard settings. I had reduced its feedback to shorten the sound the sound, so it would sound more like a quick outburst. I  have also increased its delay time so it would have a bit more after effect when the sound (like an a short echo).

Adobe Audition C26
For the last sound effect. I had created this one by popping a balloon full full of air poking it with a toothpick in toilet. This gave it sudden burst which I had reduce the sound on Audition so it wouldn't hurt everytime, I try to listen to it. I had reduced it delay time so they wouldn't as much sound effect in the background. Then I had proceeded to remove the rest of the background noise by reducing its modulation spread and making it more quite - which leaving only the noise I wanted.

Death sound effect: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkGWGX4mIDM

I had kept it at 16 Bit Depth and 48100 Hertz. The only reason the Hertz was higher it  was because the burst sound effect had increased the Hertz from 44100 to 48100 too compensate. I had had reduced its reverb to shorten the sound and trimming the sound down to make it more sudden. I had designed to be used when dying to an enemy.

Adobe Audition C26
I had decided to create a sound effect when a power up falls down to the ground. Which I had created it by having two metallic dishes colliding with each other. Then I had uploaded it to Audition, I had done minimal amount of editing the sound effect. As it was already set on how I made it.

Power up fallen sound effect: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_08pS-l6oE

This sound effect was set at 16 Bit Depth and 47100 Hertz. Again, the only reason the hertz are higher then usually is because it goes to higher pitch the some of the other sound effect. I had to convert it from WAVE to a MP3 so YouTube would be able to upload it to the website.

The five sound effects and two soundtracks I had created them all for my game. The game I’ve made is a side scroller game. As my game is mostly just coding, I was only able to add two out of the sound effects into the game as well the soundtrack. Two of the sound effect is the death and killing to the enemy - while the soundtrack is playing the background of the gameplay.


Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkUX9fcaye8

Comments

Popular Posts