ShapeMan Bugs And Glitches In The Process

ShapeMan

The Sprites and Objects


This is all my sprites and objects that i have made, when making ShapeMan. I obviously made in shape form; triangle, pentagon, square, circle, cross. I've added three more items to objects to make the game more efficient and working a lot better. By using controller as base coding of entire game, timer to help change sprites for the enemy and lives to indicate the players the amount of lives left.


Sprites and Objects in Game
Room Design

This is what is used when I was about to make my room. I used paint to make a rough idea for how the room should look like. I use this room to design the in-game room. I left the colour out on purpose, because I was not completely sure how to make it look like.

Room Sketch
I was told to make ShapeMan. The first thing I notice was that I can give it a 90s style gaming look. When I did, made sure that sprite had similar look to it as well, especially for the three hearts. I made sure to make the background back and brinks neon blue, this made sure it was more appealing to the person and better looking overall.

In-Game Room Design
Bugs and Glitches

I will be recording most of the bugs and glitches. They will be screenshot of "Before" and "Currently", this will make it easier for me to explain on how I resolved the bugs and glitches. I will try to be detailed as possible of what wrong, how it went wrong and the solution for the problem.

Visual Problem


In the game I unable to see the sprite I am controlling, but I do know it is in the game. As it play's the death animation, when colliding into the enemy sprite. The I notice how my coding was set out, and what was causing the drag and drop box.


Before
My code was actually fine, the problem was I had draw event for the lives in the 'Player's Sprite Event'. This caused the coding to what is not intended to do. It was overwritten causing it too lose it's appearance when running. Instead I created it as a object that inherits the player's kill code. This allowed me to see the player and have the lives being active.


Currently
Timer Problem


Am currently having issue with the timer with sprite changing to it's next shape. But I have notice instead of doing the that what was meant to do, it will just reset the countdown for another 10 seconds. Then changes sprite; total of 20 seconds.

Before
I've mange to resolve the problem. It was the base coding for the timer, as it was adding another 10 seconds, instead of 0 seconds. So I had to change to "MyTime = 10" to "MyTime = 0". This has resolved the issue with the code managing to change the sprite to another shape.

Currently
Collision Course Bug

I didn't notice till now when I was play testing the game. It was that the bug was when two enemy sprites collide together against a wall. It would immediately cause them to pause they movement.


Before
I have managed to fix this bug. By replacing the drag drop box with my coding. This coding is only able to make enemy sprites to move horizontally, but at least they're not bugging out in one spot, when colliding.


Currently
Feedback From Testers

I have asked my first tester to player the game and give feedback. The feedback I received was "They were too many enemies". This made game overwhelming for player. So I listen feedback and reduce the amount of enemies spawned.


First Tester's Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5hq8fYwq-I

I have asked for another tester's feedback. He said "The game movement is smooth. But enemies need better AI, Because they are to simple to understand and avoid quite easily."  I used the tester's advice and made a second sprite, which is same from the enemy sprite. But this sprite will help to fill in the gaps of the first enemy sprite.


Second Tester's Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFr-JziiAxs


Evaluation

The game was programmed and build by me. I had to go to guides and wach videos to understant the basic of coding just to build a working maze game. The "ShapeMan" game is done. But they are some missing important programming that i didn't had time to learn. For example the incomplete kill code for the enemies and being able to reduce the time for each enemy died.

Comments

Popular Posts